I met Vix!

I don't know what the weather's like where you are, but here in Darkest Wiltshire is has been utterly putrid (as they'd say in the Wilds of Norfolk, where I grew up*). Leaving the house for my Saturday morning trip to the butcher was bad enough, and Mr Robot and I got soaked through. I'd never have left the house again, only there was a Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair in Bath, and Vix and Jon were bringing Kinky Melon's stall. I really wanted to meet Vix, and had high hopes of finding some new clothes too. Since coming to realise that late 50s/early 60s stuff suits me best, I've been slowly shifting my wardrobe in that direction, and Kinky Melon struck me as the ideal place to look for things.
Looking at this photo, our frocks work pretty well together!

Luckily the rain had largely cleared by the time we got to Bath, and after a short diversion (I'd got the venue wrong and went to the Pavilion instead of the Guildhall) we reached the fair. Bath Guildhall is a lovely place, a Victorian building with a rather splendid interior that gets used as a wedding venue as well as for all sorts of council matters.

Vix spotted me as soon as I got through the door. I have mild prosopagnosia, or face blindness - 'functional but impaired' was my diagnosis - and I find it easier to remember people from photos than real life, possibly because I have more time to see their faces not moving and in two dimensions. At any rate, Vix is utterly unmistakeable, from the glossy black hair to the vibrant maxi. I'd have known her anywhere. And she is every bit as lovely in real life as she is on the blog!

I had a good rummage through the Kinky stock, which was really well priced (especially given the prices of vintage clothing in Bath), and browsed round the rest of the fair. At all the stalls Mr Robot did give me the "That's a bit Abigail's Party" or "It's very Margo" face when I waved anything especially exuberant at him. Though who wouldn't want to be a bit Margo Leadbetter, eh?  In general the stock across the whole fair was good, as long as you liked 1950s and later; there wasn't masses of interest to 1930s/1940s fans, but then the fair is billed as affordable and prices for things from those decades are significantly higher usually than anything post-1950s.

In the end I bought a lovely pink and grey 1950s rayon tea dress for £20 from Kinky Melon, and a 1960s-style brooch from a neighbouring stall - the condition of the metal, and the way the green diamante stones are set, make me think it's actually modern, but it looks very 60s and was only a fiver so I wasn't fussed about authenticity. Though I am kicking myself slightly for not getting the turquoise/cream dress suit that caught my eye as well. Afterwards I did wonder if the dress I bought was exactly 'me' as it's quite dainty, but then I remembered that we've got two weddings to go to next year and it will be perfect for those.

It was super to meet Vix, and I have a gorgeous new frock to show for it. Vix also gave me a couple of fab knitting patterns. And, erm, we now have a fridge full of very expensive cheese as after browsing round the shops we went for a beer and then accidentally fell into the posh cheese shop when we left the pub. All in all, a lovely day.



* Putrid is a very good word and I believe in Norfolk it gets applied to all sorts of things that are never called putrid elsewhere, such as weather. I have been using it a lot lately, mainly in reference to the urchins' litter tray, which anyone from anywhere would rightly describe as putrid. Foul little furballs.

Comments

  1. I cannnot wait to see you in the dress!!!! Lovely pic of you and Vix, she's met us all now surely?! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress is a bit tight across the belly, but then I haven't been doing my walks and have been hitting the takeaways a bit hard lately. There will be photos eventually!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could have come :( instead I was trudging the streets of Oxford with some potential students getting absolutely soaked to the skin.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the new frock. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Oxford's a pretty place to be soaked in - it could have been somewhere grotty ;-) Maybe next time Judy's in Oxford I should hop on a train and meet you...

      Delete
  3. OOOOhhhh, that is so cool! Plus your new frock sounds fantastic. I often have a drool at the pictures of Vix' stock (and dream of being thin enough to get into it). I am dying to see you new buys. Sounds like a great day. P.S. Margo Leadbetter is one of my favourite style icons. I would kill for her wardrobe. :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the 70s aren't really me on the whole, but I make an exception for Margo. Margo, Joanna Lumley, and Biba.

      Delete
  4. How fun! I'm envious as I never get to meet anyone in person (no local bloggers I'm aware of).

    Can't wait to see the new dress. Can we see the cheese as well? I do love a good cheese shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we started on the Stichelton (basically stilton, but made with unpasteurised milk) and Livarot last night. We also got a Langres and a Goddess. (http://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/) Usually we only splash out on the really good stuff at Christmas, but there really is nothing like decent cheese.

      Delete
  5. Lucky you, I've yet to meet Vix and check out Kinky's wares. Bath is one of my favourite cities, especially if you wander off from the main tourist scene and check out the more tattier streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm well acquainted with the back streets - they're my route through the city when I want to avoid tourists. Though with the Christmas Market coming, the entire place is going to be tourist hell for a fortnight.

      Delete
  6. Ohoho.. Mim
    How I miss having someone to tell me "That's a bit Abigail's Party" (or a similar term, more suitable for our own country's language) :)
    Meeting a friendly face must be exciting, and great fun. Since I live quite far away, I am limited in a way. But, due to this magic-box and it's connection to World Wide Web, I can share the fashion about passion (so sorry, I have no idea why I am so poetic today!)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the internet is great, isn't it? It's so good to be able to 'meet' people who share interests every day.

      'Abigail's Party' was a 1970s British TV drama. It was a one-off play, but it had a massive impact. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail%27s_Party) My husband mainly remembers wincing at the dresses!

      Delete
  7. How fabulously awesome! Blogger meetings/meetups are the best! I always love seeing two or more of the bloggers I adore sharing a snap like this. I'm so happy for you both!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great meeting people. They're always every bit as nice online as they are in real life. I know everyone talks about how people present a persona online, showing only the selected bits, but I've found the bloggers I've met even more interesting and fun in person.

      Delete
  8. I went to Judy's in Bath last year and really enjoyed it, although there wasn't much pre-50s. I do like the fact that they keep affordable, it's a good take on the humble vintage fair.
    Can't wait to see your new dress, it sounds lovely! Oh, and there's nowt wrong with Abigail's Party. Little top up, Sue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage options in Bath have dwindled since Scarlet Vintage closed, and it's really not good for affordable stuff. Vintage To Vogue has nice stuff - the people from Downton Abbey bought a load of their stock! - but it's definitely being sold at Bath prices. I find shopping at events is a better option for me (that and hoping the Gods of Charity Shops smile on me).

      Delete
  9. I met you!!!! I'm still giddy with excitement although Jon and I were more than a tad envious of you two quaffing ale in a dingy back street pub in Bath.
    Thank you so much for turning out and for Mr Robot's sterling efforts at modelling the teal duffel coat. That turquoise dress suit is still adorning my rails! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several dingy backstreet pubs. And the cheese shop. And Grillstock, where we seemed to be surrounded by students. (Made a change from going to Hoi Faan for chicken feet, which they're always bemused at a pair of Westerners eating.)

      I am so coming to your next event down here, assuming I'm not off on my travels...

      Delete
  10. Oh how lovely! I actually followed over to your blog from Vix's post about meeting you. It sounds like you had a fab day. I think a bit of Margot is no bad thing ;) although my OH often gives me the same look! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose given 70s menswear, it's not surprising the blokes shy away from that decade. Mine's definitely a lover of 40s-50s style for himself. He'll try anything from Bogart to James Dean but (happily for me) avoids going anywhere near Peter Wyngarde.

      Delete
  11. Kinky stock is great - varied, in fab condition and well-priced. Vix and Jon are really good vintage traders, it's why they do so well! That's a lovely photo of the two of you, and I can't wait to see the dress. A frock, a brooch, knitting patterns and cheese - does it get any better?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets better - there was beer and barbecue too :-D

      I was really impressed with Kinky's stock and prices. I am now a customer for life!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts