Jubilee, 1935-style

Apologies for the lack of blogging of late. On top of all the travelling I've done this month for work and pleasure (follow me on Instagram if you want to see photos of my wanderings – I'm crinolinerobot there too), I'm loaded up with a swapbox to make, freelance for SFX and, of course, my own magazine, which is currently on print deadline. I do enjoy what I do, but it's left me with very little time to read, watch or make anything purely for pleasure.

Working on a craft magazine, it's impossible to avoid mention of this year's Diamond Jubilee, and in truth I'm very much enjoying it all, to the point where I want to buy a souvenir for myself, something like a mug or a glass. I thought while I'm busy I'd share with you a couple of pics from The Story of Twenty Five Years, a book published in 1935 to celebrate King George V's Silver Jubilee.

I very much like the comparisons between 1910 and 1935. I can't help feeling that those 25 years were much more momentous than our own past 25, but then we haven't had a hideous war ravaging most of Europe; however in terms of communication things have probably advanced every bit as quickly.
This is a largely frivolous blog, so I shall share largely frivolous pictures: bathing suit styles from 1910 and 1934, and a fashion plate which states, "FRILLS AND FLOUNCES dating back to Victorian days are "modernised" for garden party wear in 1934." I suppose there's a hint of the 1880s in that dress, but just a hint. About as close to Victorian as most modern '1940s-influenced' fashions are to the real styles of the 1940s, I guess!

Comments

  1. This is a great thought, love how different the bathing suits are, and I'm wondering if any ladies had worn both styles! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I do like that flouncy dress, how utterly OTT and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd definitely suit one of the bathing suits at the top better!

    The ruffly dress is very pretty. I sometimes forget just how much puff and ruffle and frill the 1930s had. I think I prefer the streamlined 20s looks or 1930s daywear on the whole. There was no decade in the 20th century quite as ruffly as the 30s.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts